I usually try to get projects done on the weekend, and stay away from posting if I can but today I wanted to share a few of my thoughts on the new Hunger Games movie, Catching Fire!
Now before I start, two things.
1. If you have not read the book Catching Fire and plan to, stop reading. If you have not seen the movie Catching Fire and plan to, stop reading.
2. I am a little bit of a book snob. I always, always, always think that books are better then the movies. I always find a million things in movies based on books that don't line up and get angry because of them. So know that going into this post you will encounter opinions you may not entirely agree with, which is fine, but this is also my blog, so my opinion counts here! =)
I went to see Catching Fire at 10pm on Thursday night and thought it was absolutely amazing. I cannot recommend it highly enough. In my opinion, this movie was better then the original Hunger Games movie. Often in a trilogy I find the second book (or movie) seems like a filler, and just serves to bridge readers (or viewers) from the first to third book (or movie). I didn't feel that way at all while reading Catching Fire or seeing the movie.
I thought that the acting in this movie was amazing, the lines were delivered really well and I felt like laughing, crying and hiding my face in fear several times throughout the movie. Also, the set of the arena was gorgeous, way more beautiful then I imagined it. However, there were a few things I got hung up on during the movie.
1. Where was the line from Peeta, wishing that he and Katniss could stay in the moment they were having forever? I loved the scene with them in the book where they had an all-day picnic on the rooftop of the training center. I was disappointed that one of my favorite scenes had been cut.
2. Katniss is NOT supposed to see the painting Peeta does of Rue. In the novel, they cover his drawing with a mat and she hangs the Seneca Crane dummy without knowing that Peeta has defied them as well. She only learns of it afterwards, and they realize they both went in and felt the same way towards the Gamemakers.
3. Speaking of which, we never found out their scores! Lame.
4. Where was the bread? In the arena, they were consistently delivered bread, which Finnick was obsessed with counting. The bread signaled when they would be rescued, how did they know when it would be if the bread signals didn't come?!
Despite these little things...I am very thrilled with the movie and may just have to go see it again =)
Some things I loved...
1. How real their expressions were when the Quarter Quell rules are announced. Peeta's face was perfect.
2. Peeta, just in general.
4. Haymitch delivering his line, "You and a syringe against the capitol. This is why we don't let you make the plans"
5. When all the victors joined hands after their interviews.
6. Snow's face when the power goes out.
8. Did I mention Peeta? =)
How did you like the movie? If you've read the book how do you think it compared? If you haven't, what did you think of the movie in general?